Skip to main content

It's not that I always want to cook...

Confession: I love cooking, but I don't always want to cook when I get home at the end of the day.  I don't get people who claim they do.  Believe me when I say that I too come home tired, annoyed, and/or aggravated, and I am as tempted as the next person (if not more) to cry "screw it!" and hop on GrubHub.

I was having just such a day today - not that anything bad or annoying occurred, but it was hot, and it's summer, and I just wasn't feeling it.  Karen and I had gone out to do a few errands, and as we drove home, it seemed like every restaurant was taunting us. I could smell Mexican food, and something else delicious, as we made our way homeward through increasingly annoying traffic.  But I knew that there was a fridge of CSA vegetables awaiting us, and something had to be done with them before the next batch arrives on Saturday.

So, grumbling, I made my way to said fridge, staring for a bit.  We've started to have lots of "scraps" of veggies - a few stray carrots, a lonely Hakurei turnip, one squash, etc. - and I decided that we might as well try to use them up.

Enter this stir-fry, which was whipped together in about 20 minutes and appeased the part of my brain that said "just get takeout, would you?".

What you really want the recipe for here is the sauce.  Karen found it online and she whipped up the sauce - with our usual few modifications - while I was chopping up veggies.  I include all the steps anyway, though, in case you're new to stir-fry.  (It's not much of a recipe, I'm afraid!)

This one was full of tricks and cheats.  We used one of the microwaveable rice pouches that I keep around for kitchen emergencies, along with some stray bits of stuff: the egg whites leftover from Karen's latest batch of ice cream, one zucchini, a couple tiny carrots, some of the endless cabbage, a handful of shishito peppers, the single turnip, some edamame that was supposed to wind up in a chili.  So, side tip for stir-fry: save it for the end of the week and just put whatever's left in the fridge in it!  But I can say that I'd make it again in an instant - and we won this round against the ease and convenience of ordering food in.

Comments

Popular Posts

Cheap, easy vegetarians: a week in pictures

Our adventures in Utah with my parents reminded me that for folks who have been omnivores for their entire lives, the idea of leaving meat out of things can make one feel like meals are missing something.  Cooking for vegetarians, the thinking sometimes goes, is weird and complicated.  What do you make if your meal isn't meat, starch, and veg?  Surely all those strange vegetarian alternatives are expensive?  What kind of casserole doesn't include ground hamburger?  (This last is definitely a mystery to my mom.) So my goal with this post is to convince you that eating vegetarian is a) not weird; b) not expensive; c) not complicated; d) delicious.  The meals for the week are designed as usual - with a range of complexity (but tending toward quick and simple).  There will be a photo of at least one meal each day, so you can see how pretty our food is.  (It's the all-natural beauty of veggies and spices.  Food staging is not a talent to which m...

Stir-Fry Sauce

This one is pretty easy to whip up with stuff you have on hand - at least, for us.  Adjust spice to your taste and put it on whatever's in the fridge. Modified from The Cooking Guy . For the rice: 3-4 cups chopped vegetables, whatever's handy 2 cups cooked rice 2 eggs (or stray egg whites) For the sauce: 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 T fresh ginger (or ginger powder) 1 T sesame oil (or any neutral oil + sesame seeds) 2 T rice vinegar 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup veggie broth 1/2 to 1 T sriracha or other hot sauce (per your taste!) 1 T sugar 1 T corn starch Instructions: Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. After making sauce, heat a large pan with about 2 T oil or a generous spray of cooking spray. Stir-fry vegetables as appropriate to what you have: harder veggies (carrots, zucchini) take 2-3 minutes.  Greens and softer veggies (cabbage, peppers, etc.) take less than 2 minutes. Remove veggies and put in a bowl.  Toss with s...

Kicking Coffee Up A Notch

On cold brew coffee I like coffee.  Not as much as Kara likes coffee, but I like it a lot.  I especially like iced coffee, year-round.  But I hate brewing hot coffee then diluting it with enough ice to get it cold (I prefer to use milk or a milk substitute to dilute my coffee).  So I bought a cold brew concentrate.  And that was fine, but I knew there had to be a better way. At some grocery stores and at one particular well-known coffee shop, you can find "kits" to make cold brew coffee.  Some places, especially that coffee shop, even offer cold brew coffee "machines."  Not being made of money and having a brain in my head, I decided I could do it much, much cheaper.  I remembered making "sun tea" with my mom, and figured I could do coffee almost the same way. The first time I DIYed my cold brew, I tried to make satchels using coffee filters and twine.  It didn't work great.  The grounds escaped and were a pain to try to get out ...