Skip to main content

Baked egg rolls

This recipe is modified from one I found on SparkRecipes forever ago.  These are a good use for whatever veggies you've got around - cabbage and carrots are the key ingredients, but you can add in pretty much whatever else you'd like.  (People tell me they're good with chopped mushrooms.)

Ingredients:

2 T extra virgin olive oil 
16 oz. shredded veggies - cabbage and carrot mix 
4 green onions, chopped 
1 small can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 T ground ginger
1 T garlic powder 
2 T fish sauce 
2 T soy sauce  
1 T cornstarch 
20 egg roll wrappers
The Process:

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a wok or large pan, heat olive oil.  Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and egg roll wrappers and stir-fry for about 2 minutes (until cabbage is wilted).

Mix cornstarch with 1 T cold water and add to wok.  Stir for about a minute, until sauce thickens.

After cooking, strain ingredients in a colander.  (You might also want to let the mixture cool, to make it easier to work with.  This will make the egg rolls a little crispier.  But if you're in a rush, you can work with it while it's still hot.)

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place 1/4 cup of the mixture on the middle of an eggroll wrapper, turned like a diamond.

Fold the bottom corner up, over the filling. Fold in the two sides, then roll upwards. Put a dab of water on the corner to help it stick. Place on the pan seam down.

Repeat until you run out of the mixture, about 20 rolls. Eggrolls can be close, but not touching. Spray the tops with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with sweet & sour sauce or spicy mustard.  (Or both.  Both is good.)

Pro Tips:

If you've never bought egg roll wrappers, you will probably find them in the produce section of your local grocery store.  Look for the area where dressings and wraps and pre-cooked packaged beans are located.  (I found this extremely weird at first.)

Wrapping egg rolls is a bit of a pain at first.  Stick with it.  I promise that by the end of the recipe, they won't be as weird and lumpy.  My first batch was a hot mess.

Have you got garlic scapes around, say from a CSA?  Chop them up finely and add them to the cooking mix.  Take out or reduce the garlic powder.  You won't be sorry.

If you are comparing my recipe to the one on SparkRecipes, you'll notice that I have made 2 big changes: I make my egg rolls vegetarian, and I also took out the wine and increased the spices.  Do it.  I promise, they're better my way.  However, you could swap out the water chestnuts for shrimp, crab, chicken, whatever you'd like.

These really are delicious left over.  You can heat them up in the oven or for less than a minute in the microwave.  Or you can eat them cold.  I often wrap them up in packs of two and pack them for lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts

An Introduction

Hello, all!  This blog is an experiment - partly to see if I will stick with blogging, and partly to track our family's progress toward more ethical and from-scratch cooking.  My partner-in-crime Karen and I have been doing a lot to try to reduce our carbon footprint and to take better care of ourselves, and much of that revolves around food.  We're lucky to be in a fairly large metro area, where CSAs and farmers' markets and co-ops exist in abundance.  We are hoping the blog will encourage us (well, me) to stay serious about our new eating practices.  Our schedule tends to be more open in the summer, so now is the moment to give this a try! How do I cook?  I like to have a weekly plan.  I am a meal prepper, with snacks and lunch for the week made in advance.  Because we're committed to ethical meat (and moving toward ethical dairy as much as possible), we tend to be "semi-vegetarian."  We are low-to-no soy household due to allergies.  I strive for heart-hea

Lentil Sloppy Joes

This recipe is modified from this one at Simply Quinoa.  We like the texture, but find the final product overly sweet, so I got creative and came up with some modifications. A note: this recipe makes a TON.  It makes six cup-plus servings.  However, it freezes really well. Ingredients: 1 cup finely chopped carrots 1 cup shredded jackfruit 1/2 cup finely diced onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked) 8 oz tomato sauce 1/2 cup ketchup 1 T maple syrup (or honey, or other sweetener) 2 T hot sauce of your choice 2 T mustard 1 T chili powder 1 tsp paprika 3-4 cups veggie broth salt and pepper to taste The Process: Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.  Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Eat. Yes, it's that simple. Pro Tips: I like to shred the carrots, but if you want more texture/crunch, just chop them very small. If you like mushrooms, you might use those as the origi

A Farmers’ Market on the Road!

We’ve been out and about this past week, visiting family.  This presents some challenges: my parents eat very differently than we do at home.  The single biggest difference is the sheer quantity of meat.  Some weeks ago, my mom commented that they (two people) go through two or three pounds of ground beef a week.  Karen and I had no idea how that was even possible, but we’ve seen it first-hand the past few days: beef shepherd’s pie, meatballs, burgers.  My charming mom asked if we wanted chicken for the grill since we don't eat much meat - to quite a lot of laughter from me and Karen, who don't consider chicken a vegetable.  Luckily no one’s offended at our gentle modifications to amplify the veggies at every opportunity.  (Neither are my folks signing on to eat the delicious hummus, cheese, and veggie sandwiches I made for yesterday’s picnic.  Sigh.) They are supportive folks, even if they are deeply suspicious of hummus, so today we were off to a nearby farmers’ market in t