Skip to main content

Kicking Coffee Up A Notch

On cold brew coffee

I like coffee.  Not as much as Kara likes coffee, but I like it a lot.  I especially like iced coffee, year-round.  But I hate brewing hot coffee then diluting it with enough ice to get it cold (I prefer to use milk or a milk substitute to dilute my coffee).  So I bought a cold brew concentrate.  And that was fine, but I knew there had to be a better way.

At some grocery stores and at one particular well-known coffee shop, you can find "kits" to make cold brew coffee.  Some places, especially that coffee shop, even offer cold brew coffee "machines."  Not being made of money and having a brain in my head, I decided I could do it much, much cheaper.  I remembered making "sun tea" with my mom, and figured I could do coffee almost the same way.

plastic container with a red lid, several tea bags folded over the top of the container
The first time I DIYed my cold brew, I tried to make satchels using coffee filters and twine.  It didn't work great.  The grounds escaped and were a pain to try to get out of the container after the coffee brewed.  I got wiser and realized that I could use the steep sacks that we have around for loose leaf tea.

I use 3 steep sacks and put two scoops (probably close to 3 tablespoons) of ground coffee into each sack.  I drape the sacks over the mouth of a two quart container and fill the container until the coffee bags are in the water.  I try not to overfill, because I worry about escapee grounds.  Then the whole thing sits, covered, something like 16 hours on the counter.  The next morning I remove the steep sacks, screw on the lid, pour myself a wonderful cup of cold brew coffee, and despair of trying to find a place in our veggiful fridge for my coffee container.


Homemade syrups

So, even with the less bitter taste of cold brew coffee, I still like to add a little flavor and a little sweet.  I used to buy syrups when I could find small, not sugar free bottles.  It's harder than you might think.  So one day, frustrated, I did a internet search for homemade coffee syrups and found one!  It's a basic simple syrup recipe with about 1-2 teaspoons of flavoring per 1 cup batch of syrup.

If you've never tried it before, simple syrup is super easy to make.  Just combine equal parts sugar and water over heat until all of the sugar is dissolved.  One cup of each yields about 1 1/4 cups of syrup.

Right now, I have caramel, amaretto, and hazelnut (because I can't put Amaretto or Frangelico in my coffee before going to work.)

iced coffee in a glass jar with a reusable plastic lid and spoon
Proper hipsters drink iced coffee in mason jars.

Comments

  1. What type of flavoring do you get for the sryup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Beanilla extracts, which I get from Amazon. It seemed right, since I used a basic recipe I found on their website to make my syrups.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

An Introduction

Hello, all!  This blog is an experiment - partly to see if I will stick with blogging, and partly to track our family's progress toward more ethical and from-scratch cooking.  My partner-in-crime Karen and I have been doing a lot to try to reduce our carbon footprint and to take better care of ourselves, and much of that revolves around food.  We're lucky to be in a fairly large metro area, where CSAs and farmers' markets and co-ops exist in abundance.  We are hoping the blog will encourage us (well, me) to stay serious about our new eating practices.  Our schedule tends to be more open in the summer, so now is the moment to give this a try! How do I cook?  I like to have a weekly plan.  I am a meal prepper, with snacks and lunch for the week made in advance.  Because we're committed to ethical meat (and moving toward ethical dairy as much as possible), we tend to be "semi-vegetarian."  We are low-to-no soy household due to allergies.  I strive for heart-hea

Lentil Sloppy Joes

This recipe is modified from this one at Simply Quinoa.  We like the texture, but find the final product overly sweet, so I got creative and came up with some modifications. A note: this recipe makes a TON.  It makes six cup-plus servings.  However, it freezes really well. Ingredients: 1 cup finely chopped carrots 1 cup shredded jackfruit 1/2 cup finely diced onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked) 8 oz tomato sauce 1/2 cup ketchup 1 T maple syrup (or honey, or other sweetener) 2 T hot sauce of your choice 2 T mustard 1 T chili powder 1 tsp paprika 3-4 cups veggie broth salt and pepper to taste The Process: Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.  Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Eat. Yes, it's that simple. Pro Tips: I like to shred the carrots, but if you want more texture/crunch, just chop them very small. If you like mushrooms, you might use those as the origi

A Farmers’ Market on the Road!

We’ve been out and about this past week, visiting family.  This presents some challenges: my parents eat very differently than we do at home.  The single biggest difference is the sheer quantity of meat.  Some weeks ago, my mom commented that they (two people) go through two or three pounds of ground beef a week.  Karen and I had no idea how that was even possible, but we’ve seen it first-hand the past few days: beef shepherd’s pie, meatballs, burgers.  My charming mom asked if we wanted chicken for the grill since we don't eat much meat - to quite a lot of laughter from me and Karen, who don't consider chicken a vegetable.  Luckily no one’s offended at our gentle modifications to amplify the veggies at every opportunity.  (Neither are my folks signing on to eat the delicious hummus, cheese, and veggie sandwiches I made for yesterday’s picnic.  Sigh.) They are supportive folks, even if they are deeply suspicious of hummus, so today we were off to a nearby farmers’ market in t