Skip to main content

Summer on the go

The CSA is in full swing, producing our seven wonderful veggie items a week.  We've added a new element to our market trips: a very dear friend tipped us off to a way that we can compost!  A local small business, which has a booth at our Farmers' Market, will take away your compostables every other week for the incredibly low cost of $5.  When the market isn't in season, we can bring our pail to the co-op.  Finally, I can repurpose the post-stock vegetables!!

Behold! Veggies!
This week's CSA harvest: garlic scapes, kale, bok choy, summer squash, peas, Hakurei salad turnips, and lettuce.  We also picked up a pint of blueberries, because we have no self-control.

Due to a festival in town, the main street through town was closed.  We dropped off our CSA goodies in the car, picked up our coffee and a scone, and walked down the street to the co-op.  There was very, very little on the list this week: just a couple things to finish off a recipe or two, milk for Karen's coffee, and a loaf of bread.  But it was a lovely, sunny day for an early-ish walk through a charming little town.

This week introduces a new complication to our CSA and ethical eating plans: like many people, we travel a bit in the summer.  And I am both too cheap and too environmentally concerned to waste food.  So: what do we do with all this stuff before we go?



Freddie also likes CSA veggies.
Good news, everyone: this week's posts are on stuff you can make and freeze while your veggies are fresh!

Who likes Indian food?  We are, to put it mildly, fans.  And the Instant Pot makes it easy.

My saag recipe is a loose adaptation from The Indian Instant Pot Cookbook.  One major difference that you will notice right away is that the cookbook's version calls for baby spinach, making it palak paneer.  The difference, as I understand it, is that saag can be made with whatever greens you like (usually spinach and mustard greens), while palak uses spinach.  So this week, the saag is being made with a nice mix: beet greens and spigariello.  It freezes really nicely in 2 cup portions, which is enough to make a pretty much instant dinner when paired with a can of chickpeas and some rice.

The second recipe is a house favorite for pasta: pesto!  Pesto is often made with basil and pine nuts - not necessarily inexpensive. Ground-breaking news, friends: all you need for pesto is a leafy green, an aged cheese, and toasted nuts. Any kind will do. (And olive oil - of course.) Pesto also freezes well, either in small jars or in an ice cube tray.  The advantage to an ice cube tray is that you can pop them out of your freezer as needed. But let's be honest, once the jar comes out of the freezer, I'm happy to eat it all week: on pasta, on a flatbread, even as a sandwich spread.  This week's lemony kale, walnut, and parmesan pesto is adjusted from a cooking class recipe.

Another perk to this home-processing of one's veggies: now, when we get back, there's no need to worry about what to eat.  Just grab a jar of something yummy from the freezer and behold! dinner!  (I have even occasionally asked the cat sitter to pull something down out of the freezer the day before we return...)

Comments

Popular Posts

Cheap, easy vegetarians: a week in pictures

Our adventures in Utah with my parents reminded me that for folks who have been omnivores for their entire lives, the idea of leaving meat out of things can make one feel like meals are missing something.  Cooking for vegetarians, the thinking sometimes goes, is weird and complicated.  What do you make if your meal isn't meat, starch, and veg?  Surely all those strange vegetarian alternatives are expensive?  What kind of casserole doesn't include ground hamburger?  (This last is definitely a mystery to my mom.) So my goal with this post is to convince you that eating vegetarian is a) not weird; b) not expensive; c) not complicated; d) delicious.  The meals for the week are designed as usual - with a range of complexity (but tending toward quick and simple).  There will be a photo of at least one meal each day, so you can see how pretty our food is.  (It's the all-natural beauty of veggies and spices.  Food staging is not a talent to which m...

Stir-Fry Sauce

This one is pretty easy to whip up with stuff you have on hand - at least, for us.  Adjust spice to your taste and put it on whatever's in the fridge. Modified from The Cooking Guy . For the rice: 3-4 cups chopped vegetables, whatever's handy 2 cups cooked rice 2 eggs (or stray egg whites) For the sauce: 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 T fresh ginger (or ginger powder) 1 T sesame oil (or any neutral oil + sesame seeds) 2 T rice vinegar 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup veggie broth 1/2 to 1 T sriracha or other hot sauce (per your taste!) 1 T sugar 1 T corn starch Instructions: Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. After making sauce, heat a large pan with about 2 T oil or a generous spray of cooking spray. Stir-fry vegetables as appropriate to what you have: harder veggies (carrots, zucchini) take 2-3 minutes.  Greens and softer veggies (cabbage, peppers, etc.) take less than 2 minutes. Remove veggies and put in a bowl.  Toss with s...

Kicking Coffee Up A Notch

On cold brew coffee I like coffee.  Not as much as Kara likes coffee, but I like it a lot.  I especially like iced coffee, year-round.  But I hate brewing hot coffee then diluting it with enough ice to get it cold (I prefer to use milk or a milk substitute to dilute my coffee).  So I bought a cold brew concentrate.  And that was fine, but I knew there had to be a better way. At some grocery stores and at one particular well-known coffee shop, you can find "kits" to make cold brew coffee.  Some places, especially that coffee shop, even offer cold brew coffee "machines."  Not being made of money and having a brain in my head, I decided I could do it much, much cheaper.  I remembered making "sun tea" with my mom, and figured I could do coffee almost the same way. The first time I DIYed my cold brew, I tried to make satchels using coffee filters and twine.  It didn't work great.  The grounds escaped and were a pain to try to get out ...