Skip to main content

Not your mama's beets...

... But they are my mama's beets.

Cinnamon Pickled Beets have been a family recipe for years.  I talked a little about my mom's beets in a previous post, but they have converted many folks who swear they do not eat beets.  People have been contacting her to ask if there are beets available yet.  (There are not.)  However, if you've got beets, you can have some cinnamon pickled ones from the comfort of your own kitchen!

Oddly, I am the holdout.  I love beets, but I'm the only one who's not obsessed with my mom's.  (Don't get me wrong - they're delicious - but I prefer my beets roasted.) Go figure.

Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds beets
  • 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon whole allspice (NOT GROUND)
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 3 cinnamon sticks, broken

The Process:

Wash and drain beets.  Leave 2 inches of stems and tap roots.

Cover with boiling water and cook until tender.  Remove peel; trim ends.  (My mom chops them into round, pickle-like pieces at this point, so as not to have whole beets in the jar.)

Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepot.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.

Add beets and cook until hot throughout.  Remove cinnamon sticks.

If you're not canning the beets, stop here.  If you are, continue. (If you've never canned before, I will talk about it in a future post, I promise.)

Pack hot beets into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Ladle hot pickling liquid over beets, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles.

Adjust two-piece caps.  Process 30 minutes in a boiling-water canner.  Yields about 4 pints.


Pro Tips:

The original recipe calls for 3 cups of very thinly sliced onions, boiled with the beets.  My mom says don't do this.  However, if you want to mix it up, that's your call!

If you're feeling Pennsylvania-ish, you can use a nearly-empty jar from these beets to make red beet eggs, a thing I didn't know existed until I met Karen.

You can double this recipe.  You can triple it.  Go hard.  If you've got beets, this recipe can use them up.  My mom regularly makes upward of 40 jars of beets at a time.

Don't forget to eat the greens in some other creative way!  (Saag paneer or pesto, anyone?)

Comments

Popular Posts

An Introduction

Hello, all!  This blog is an experiment - partly to see if I will stick with blogging, and partly to track our family's progress toward more ethical and from-scratch cooking.  My partner-in-crime Karen and I have been doing a lot to try to reduce our carbon footprint and to take better care of ourselves, and much of that revolves around food.  We're lucky to be in a fairly large metro area, where CSAs and farmers' markets and co-ops exist in abundance.  We are hoping the blog will encourage us (well, me) to stay serious about our new eating practices.  Our schedule tends to be more open in the summer, so now is the moment to give this a try! How do I cook?  I like to have a weekly plan.  I am a meal prepper, with snacks and lunch for the week made in advance.  Because we're committed to ethical meat (and moving toward ethical dairy as much as possible), we tend to be "semi-vegetarian."  We are low-to-no soy household due to allergies.  I strive for heart-hea

Lentil Sloppy Joes

This recipe is modified from this one at Simply Quinoa.  We like the texture, but find the final product overly sweet, so I got creative and came up with some modifications. A note: this recipe makes a TON.  It makes six cup-plus servings.  However, it freezes really well. Ingredients: 1 cup finely chopped carrots 1 cup shredded jackfruit 1/2 cup finely diced onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked) 8 oz tomato sauce 1/2 cup ketchup 1 T maple syrup (or honey, or other sweetener) 2 T hot sauce of your choice 2 T mustard 1 T chili powder 1 tsp paprika 3-4 cups veggie broth salt and pepper to taste The Process: Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.  Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Eat. Yes, it's that simple. Pro Tips: I like to shred the carrots, but if you want more texture/crunch, just chop them very small. If you like mushrooms, you might use those as the origi

Cheap, easy vegetarians: a week in pictures

Our adventures in Utah with my parents reminded me that for folks who have been omnivores for their entire lives, the idea of leaving meat out of things can make one feel like meals are missing something.  Cooking for vegetarians, the thinking sometimes goes, is weird and complicated.  What do you make if your meal isn't meat, starch, and veg?  Surely all those strange vegetarian alternatives are expensive?  What kind of casserole doesn't include ground hamburger?  (This last is definitely a mystery to my mom.) So my goal with this post is to convince you that eating vegetarian is a) not weird; b) not expensive; c) not complicated; d) delicious.  The meals for the week are designed as usual - with a range of complexity (but tending toward quick and simple).  There will be a photo of at least one meal each day, so you can see how pretty our food is.  (It's the all-natural beauty of veggies and spices.  Food staging is not a talent to which my skills extend.) Okay, so may