Skip to main content

Apple Crisp

A New England classic made in proper New England style.  This one is an inherited recipe: I used to help my mom make huge pans of it for church dinners and special events.

If your crisp topping doesn't contain oats, it's wrong.  Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Ingredients:
  •  4-6 apples, depending on size
  • cinnamon and nutmeg to taste (at least 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 of nutmeg)
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 5 T butter (or butter alternative)
  • 1/2 c flour
The Process:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel the apples and cut into fairly thin slices.  Lay these out in a lightly greased pan.  (We recommend a 9x9: see the Pro Tips, below.)

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, sugar, flour, and spices.  (The recipe includes what I consider the low end of the spices.)

Add butter and combine using two butter knives OR a pastry cutter.  Or your fingers.  You want the topping to come together in crumbly pieces, but it won't form a dough. 

Spread topping over the apples.  It might be helpful to press it down gently, so it forms something like a crust.  Some apple should be visible peeking out.

Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the apples are soft and the topping is firm. 

Enjoy either hot or cold.  Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream optional.

Pro Tips:

You can double, triple, or halve this really easily.

We like lots of fruit in our crisp.  When my mom makes it, she spreads the apple out in a single layer on a shallow pan.  We've gone to the nine-by-nine pan so we get more lovely fall apple per bite.

Another modification: I have removed a step which calls for lightly tossing the apple slices in sugar and cinnamon.  I don't think they need it.  If you have incredibly tart apples, though, you may wish to do this.


Comments

Popular Posts

Cheap, easy vegetarians: a week in pictures

Our adventures in Utah with my parents reminded me that for folks who have been omnivores for their entire lives, the idea of leaving meat out of things can make one feel like meals are missing something.  Cooking for vegetarians, the thinking sometimes goes, is weird and complicated.  What do you make if your meal isn't meat, starch, and veg?  Surely all those strange vegetarian alternatives are expensive?  What kind of casserole doesn't include ground hamburger?  (This last is definitely a mystery to my mom.) So my goal with this post is to convince you that eating vegetarian is a) not weird; b) not expensive; c) not complicated; d) delicious.  The meals for the week are designed as usual - with a range of complexity (but tending toward quick and simple).  There will be a photo of at least one meal each day, so you can see how pretty our food is.  (It's the all-natural beauty of veggies and spices.  Food staging is not a talent to which m...

Stir-Fry Sauce

This one is pretty easy to whip up with stuff you have on hand - at least, for us.  Adjust spice to your taste and put it on whatever's in the fridge. Modified from The Cooking Guy . For the rice: 3-4 cups chopped vegetables, whatever's handy 2 cups cooked rice 2 eggs (or stray egg whites) For the sauce: 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 T fresh ginger (or ginger powder) 1 T sesame oil (or any neutral oil + sesame seeds) 2 T rice vinegar 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup veggie broth 1/2 to 1 T sriracha or other hot sauce (per your taste!) 1 T sugar 1 T corn starch Instructions: Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. After making sauce, heat a large pan with about 2 T oil or a generous spray of cooking spray. Stir-fry vegetables as appropriate to what you have: harder veggies (carrots, zucchini) take 2-3 minutes.  Greens and softer veggies (cabbage, peppers, etc.) take less than 2 minutes. Remove veggies and put in a bowl.  Toss with s...

Kicking Coffee Up A Notch

On cold brew coffee I like coffee.  Not as much as Kara likes coffee, but I like it a lot.  I especially like iced coffee, year-round.  But I hate brewing hot coffee then diluting it with enough ice to get it cold (I prefer to use milk or a milk substitute to dilute my coffee).  So I bought a cold brew concentrate.  And that was fine, but I knew there had to be a better way. At some grocery stores and at one particular well-known coffee shop, you can find "kits" to make cold brew coffee.  Some places, especially that coffee shop, even offer cold brew coffee "machines."  Not being made of money and having a brain in my head, I decided I could do it much, much cheaper.  I remembered making "sun tea" with my mom, and figured I could do coffee almost the same way. The first time I DIYed my cold brew, I tried to make satchels using coffee filters and twine.  It didn't work great.  The grounds escaped and were a pain to try to get out ...