Skip to main content

A Fall Double!

So, we've been on a short hiatus, partly because I was away on research.  (Karen did an admirable job of keeping the Queer Hipster Kitchen moving - there were doughnuts and a vegetarian shepherd's pie waiting when I got home!)  But we're back and the kitchen has been busy this week.

When we travel, we are able to put a "vacation hold" on our amazing CSA, which lets us schedule a double share for a future week.  (This is an amazing feature and part of why we love this CSA.  Besides, you know, the incredible veggies.)  Due to unexpected travel, we had a forthcoming double.  I *thought* I'd scheduled it for the last week of the fall CSA, before we transition to the winter one.  But it turns out that, nope, I scheduled it for this past week.

Surprise!  A double!


I love a double, but it does take some planning.  Yes, that is five medium eggplant, two butternut squash, two cauliflower, two bundles of cooking greens, two bundles of kale, two batches of carrots (with greens), and a big old container of potatoes.  The apples aren't pictured.  We get five pounds of apples per week.

So what did we do?  First, panic.  Then, get to cooking.  Greens are easy: we replenished our frozen saag supplies.

  
 One of the best things about fall cooking, in my view, is that it's a great time to get out the crock pot.  This is especially true when we're both working full time, though it's slightly alleviated by my research leave this semester.  But when there's a double, well.  Gotta get stuff done - and in a hurry.

Above are pictured this week's endeavors: a new recipe, a spicy red lentil chili on the left (already in its jars for the week), and an old favorite on the crock pot in the right: butternut squash soup.  Our soup is incredibly simple and a beautiful thing to make in the crock pot.  It's versatile, easily adjusted, and delicious.  And it's vegan.  This time, I had a cup of canned pumpkin, left over from making breakfast oatmeal, so I tossed that in just to use it up.  We toasted up part of an old loaf of bread to make croutons, and all of it is coming soon to a bowl near you.  Or near me, anyway. 

The eggplant was roasted and became a spicy dip that I invented on the go.  We brought it along to a wonderful potluck at the home of some friends.  So, that's two down!  But there was the not-so-small problem of TEN POUNDS OF APPLES, compounded with the fact that we had leftover apples from previous weeks.  Luckily, an overabundance of apples is never a problem.


That, friends, is a proper apple crisp.  It's a recipe I have made a thousand times, ever-so-slightly modified from my mom's recipe.  (I use more apples and less sugar.)  Still, only just so many apples fit into a 9x9 pan, so the rest of them got cooked up into delicious, delicious applesauce, which will be used for baking (and eating) throughout the fall.

We're definitely going to be managing this double into next week, especially the potatoes and that lovely cauliflower.  And I'm excited to see what goodies our winter CSA yields: we've been told to expect roots and greens, and we're continuing the apple share into the season.  So it'll be fresh local veggie treats until Christmas here!




Comments

Popular Posts

An Introduction

Hello, all!  This blog is an experiment - partly to see if I will stick with blogging, and partly to track our family's progress toward more ethical and from-scratch cooking.  My partner-in-crime Karen and I have been doing a lot to try to reduce our carbon footprint and to take better care of ourselves, and much of that revolves around food.  We're lucky to be in a fairly large metro area, where CSAs and farmers' markets and co-ops exist in abundance.  We are hoping the blog will encourage us (well, me) to stay serious about our new eating practices.  Our schedule tends to be more open in the summer, so now is the moment to give this a try! How do I cook?  I like to have a weekly plan.  I am a meal prepper, with snacks and lunch for the week made in advance.  Because we're committed to ethical meat (and moving toward ethical dairy as much as possible), we tend to be "semi-vegetarian."  We are low-to-no soy household due to allergies.  I strive for heart-hea

Lentil Sloppy Joes

This recipe is modified from this one at Simply Quinoa.  We like the texture, but find the final product overly sweet, so I got creative and came up with some modifications. A note: this recipe makes a TON.  It makes six cup-plus servings.  However, it freezes really well. Ingredients: 1 cup finely chopped carrots 1 cup shredded jackfruit 1/2 cup finely diced onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked) 8 oz tomato sauce 1/2 cup ketchup 1 T maple syrup (or honey, or other sweetener) 2 T hot sauce of your choice 2 T mustard 1 T chili powder 1 tsp paprika 3-4 cups veggie broth salt and pepper to taste The Process: Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.  Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Eat. Yes, it's that simple. Pro Tips: I like to shred the carrots, but if you want more texture/crunch, just chop them very small. If you like mushrooms, you might use those as the origi

A Farmers’ Market on the Road!

We’ve been out and about this past week, visiting family.  This presents some challenges: my parents eat very differently than we do at home.  The single biggest difference is the sheer quantity of meat.  Some weeks ago, my mom commented that they (two people) go through two or three pounds of ground beef a week.  Karen and I had no idea how that was even possible, but we’ve seen it first-hand the past few days: beef shepherd’s pie, meatballs, burgers.  My charming mom asked if we wanted chicken for the grill since we don't eat much meat - to quite a lot of laughter from me and Karen, who don't consider chicken a vegetable.  Luckily no one’s offended at our gentle modifications to amplify the veggies at every opportunity.  (Neither are my folks signing on to eat the delicious hummus, cheese, and veggie sandwiches I made for yesterday’s picnic.  Sigh.) They are supportive folks, even if they are deeply suspicious of hummus, so today we were off to a nearby farmers’ market in t